09 Jan Business Development Manager – Commercial | Innovative Australian Law Firm
Location: Melbourne or Sydney, Australia | Job ID: 1189613
- Join one of the fastest growing and most innovative Australian law firms
- Fantastic opportunity for an experienced BD professional to drive strategy in the Commercial group
- Truly flexible working policy and culture
- Report to a highly regarded MCBD Leader
With over 100 years of history, our client is recognised as one of Australia’s most highly regarded domestically focused law firms known for its client centric approach, industry leading partners and culture of collaboration and entrepreneurship.
An exciting BD Manager opportunity has come up in the firm’s dedicated Commercial practice, one of the firms largest and most profitable practices in Australia.
Reporting to a highly experienced and well-regarded BD leader, the role requires close collaboration with national and regional BD colleagues, and working daily with partners on planning and delivery.
New business and thought leadership
- Driving and executing on thought leadership within the group’s target sectors.
- Identifying client/new work opportunities, emerging product and service areas and working with other stakeholders to pursue these.
- Project manage the publication of internal newsletters to facilitate the exchange of information between partners, share ideas for thought leadership and foster collaboration – including some client and matter reporting.
Key client account management
- Managing key client accounts – driving and executing on client planning and development ideas and plans.
- Preparing lawyers for business development meetings with clients and prospects.
- Assisting cross practice group integration in a way that improves client ‘stickiness’.
- Work with partners to conduct and promote post transaction reviews in order to obtain client feedback and assist in improving client service.
- Support partners with the development and execution of practice group strategy.
- Providing support to the Head of Commercial in the execution of their BD role and responsibilities.
- Identify and execute on strategic business development initiatives that align with the firm strategy including awareness training, profile raising, and collaboration projects.
- Actively develop and maintain a deep understanding of the market and the competitive position of the practice group through extensive internal and external research.
- Understand and engage with relevant markets, industry sectors and clients, and identify trends and business development opportunities aligned with the firm’s offering.
Bids and Tenders
- Leading on the content and project management of bids, pitches, tenders, capability statements, legal directory / league tables and award submissions including reviewing and communicating client requirements and deadlines and acquiring, drafting and editing content. The successful candidate will be required to take a robust approach to the ‘go / no go’ process for tenders.
- Assisting with compiling and drafting Australian content for global and regional marketing collateral, bids / tenders and similar.
- Supporting the preparation of responses to client’s request for proposals or information for the Commercial practice group.
- Lead the review and continuous improvement of the practice group’s suite of marketing materials, including credentials playbook, capability statements, pitch templates, matter lists, website content (internal and external) and press releases.
- Manage and assist with pitch and formal tender processes, including approving pricing, uploading submissions, and managing post pitch and evaluation processes.
Required skills and qualifications
- 5+ years BD or marketing experience, preferably in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Qualifications in a relevant field (i.e. commerce, business, marketing, law, communications or similar) and a proven ability in quantitative fields.
- Demonstrated innovation and creative problem-solving abilities, with strong project management skills and the ability to take initiative in a constantly-changing work environment.
- Strong people skills, and the energy and passion to drive new business initiatives, influence partners, and deliver and analyse results.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously, under pressure and to tight timeframes.
- A strong customer-centric approach – you are always thinking about how our clients interact with the brand and what we can do to improve their experience.
- Demonstrated ability to pick up new technology and work proficiently in Microsoft Office 2010, especially PowerPoint and Excel.
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, as well as the ability to work independently.
Dalton Handley is a market leading recruitment consultancy and career advisory firm, dedicated to building careers and marketing/BD teams for some of Australia’s leading legal, accounting and consulting firms. Our team has over 30 years’ combined extensive professional services marketing recruitment expertise with front line experience in business development roles.
If you are interested in this role, please contact the Dalton Handley team for more information or call +61 2 8042 7970.
All conversations will be treated in the strictest of confidence.